Last Updated on
10 SEO tips for getting your website noticed
Search engine optimisation (SEO) refers to techniques used to improve your website’s position in search engine results when certain search keywords are entered. Here are 10 SEO tips to help you improve your website search results position.
General tips about how your website looks
1. Make sure that buttons such as ‘Contact us’ can be seen without scrolling; try looking at your website on different computers.
2. Display your telephone number or call to action prominently on your main landing/home page.
On-page SEO tips
On-Page SEO involves optimising aspects of your website to give search engines an idea of what your website is about.
3. Use meaningful page names, such as prices
4. Always-use-hyphens-in-urls. Never_use_underscores_in_urls.
5. Use meta descriptions – this will help with SEO and look better in Google results
6. Think about what keywords you want to rank well for. You can use Google Adwords Keyword Research tool to look at which keywords are going to work best (ie they have low amounts of competition and high monthly local web traffic). Then these keywords and phrases can be inserted into Titles, Headings, bold text, alt tags and so on – in a natural way.
7. Don’t overdo keywords – some people will use the term over and over again. That’s called “keyword stuffing.” This can lead to your site being removed from Google.
Off-page SEO tips
Off-page SEO refers to all the measures that can be taken outside of the actual website for the purpose of ranking a website higher in the search results.
8. Google My Business is a place where business owners can claim a listing which shows up in local searches, with a map attached. The first 10 non-advertising results that Google shows are often are from Google Maps, so if you have a business and haven’t submitted it, you’re losing out on potential customers.
9. Build links to your website from other websites that are related to your keyword topics.
10. Analyse your website statistics by using software such as Google Analytics – a free tool that can be used to analyse traffic to your website. Here are some things you can measure using Google Analytics.
You may also be interested in our SEO checklist.
This article was written by Jane Walker (tel. 0777 169 1194). I hope you found it useful.